Sunday, April 8, 2012

Online Video for Business

Online video for business is hot and getting hotter. Just as every company needed to roll out their first website about 10-15 years ago, video has now become accessible enough for just about any company to get in the game. With the explosion in mobile adoption and the content required for that usage, I’d argue it’s increasingly crucial. Tread lightly though! Just as you wouldn’t show up to work in your pajamas ( well, most of us anyway ), you want to make sure your business videos represent your company in a professional manner. An “amateur” effort can harm your business’s image just as strongly

The good news is that it’s still early enough in the business video adoption phase that savvy companies are able to effectively stand out and use video to grow. As these tips and similar production practices become a part of the corporate lexicon, these truths we will hold to be self-evident! Nobody questions the ROI of business cards or a website, and soon, video will be just another tool for communication. Until then, it’s going to be a little bit of the wild west as the video industry attempts to prove it’s worth and help businesses understand how to best use this powerhouse of a communication tool.

Video is exciting. Sometimes, the very idea of creating a video seems to hypnotize people into thinking they actually have the ability and the capability to see a video project all the way through to the end. Make sure you are being honest with yourself about what adding this additional responsibility will mean. Some clients barely have time to review what we produce for them, I can’t imagine what would happen to their other work if they tried and do an entire video project themselves!

I don’t change the oil on my car anymore. I can… I’ve started doing it myself when I was 16. But I realize this is now not the best use of my time. And the pro’s simply do it better and easier than I can today. They’re set up for it. This metaphor can also apply to business video production.

No comments: